Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Preggo Journal, Jan 17


So, I can't really go all posting all this stuff on my blog, seeing as how we've only just told our families, but I don't want to wait to journal at all until we've decided its safe to "spread the news" because that will probably be after the wedding!


So, I guess I'll just "blog" to myself – and then maybe post these at a later date.


So (how many times can I start a paragraph with "so"?) how am I feeling about all this? Pregnancy. WOW! I can't believe it! In a million ways I am very excited about it all, but in about a hundred ways I'm scared too. The fear is leaving me more and more though – which is good.


Lets start from the beginning – I decided to take a pregnancy test (First Response, Uso FacĂ­l purchased from Wal Mart) not because I missed my period, but just because I had a hunch. Keep in mind, I also had a hunch in December too – when I bought two tests (they were both negative) but I figured I'd give it a go anyway.


So, I went jogging at the mall after I dropped Keith off at work, then went to Wal-Mart to buy the test and a couple other things. I got home, ate breakfast, was cooling down a bit…….doing some scrapping and surfing.


Finally, I decided to get ready to take a shower, but I took the test first. After about one minute, I could already make out the faint, pink, second line. I was like "NO WAY!!!". I double checked on line (directions in English) and sure enough – two lines means baby!!!


I took a pic of the test, made a little layout…..jumped in the shower and when I got out I called Pat O'Brien.


Lets put this all into perspective here for a second. Both Pat O'Brien and I really really REALLY have wanted a family for some time. I mean REALLY. Seriously EAGER beavers man. Obviously, we've exercised some restraint because who wants to be all knocked up and living far far away from her honeybuns, right? I'm pretty sure everyone in our family knew we were getting ready to start trying. Well, this last visit, we decided we'd just wait and see what happened. We didn't really think it would stick on the first try, kwim?


After getting back to Mexico after our Christmas/New Years visit I started to think – you know, maybe we should wait a bit longer – give me some time to settle into my job, give us some time to travel and do some fun things……..and no sooner had I "decided" that, did I get the positive test.
And really, I don't think it all matters. Everyone tries to have a plan, and as much as we try to control it Life always seems to find a way to make what's supposed to happen, happen.


So here we are.


The positive test was Saturday, January 13, about 11:00AM or so. I went to my gynecologist here, Dr. Quiroz, on Monday, January 15 for confirmation. He has all this fancy super cool ultra sound equipment, so we used that first to see if we could detect the little ball of cells, but unfortunately, it was too early. I did get a picture of my vaginal canal though LOL! So, we used another urine test and it was DEFINITELY two bright big purple lines! I was excited – he was excited – I think it was then it really hit me.


I haven't really been having any symptoms at all – just super tender boobs – and the occasional twinge from the womb every now and again. I wouldn't even call them cramps. No really strange cravings or nausea or anything, which is really good – although I have been seriously wanting (and subsequently making) arroz con leche. I've eaten one batch already, and made another one on Monday. Soo yummy. And cheese too. I guess I've been a bit moodier as of late….Oh yeah, and there is also the whole not having my period thing, as well as elevated body temperatures :) That is definitely a sign!


So, what have I been doing over the past four days since I found out, officially, that I am bearing child? Well, we've told our families – that was kind of cool. Not sure if my family is all that excited because we're not married yet – but I'm sure they'll come around. Its not like we weren't planning it, you know?


Wow – I am four weeks along today. Wow wow wow wow.


I'm trying not to worry or flip out too much- and I'm doing a good job of it so far. I tend to err on the side of hypochondria, and know that all that added stress won't be good for a babe in womb, so I decided to stop being a crazy person, which is cool. The only grain of concern I have is because of the MMR booster I got at the end of December. They all told me to wait a month before we conceived…..and we were both aware of it – but I think that got pushed aside to the "wait and see what happens – no way it will take on the first try" mentality.


I feel actually much more relaxed than I have in a while, too. I think its because I know I don't have a lot of control over what's going on in there, and I'm totally OK with that. Yes, shocker I know – me giving up control. I mean, yes, I can control what's going in there – more good things, more vitamins, no alcohol, limited caffeine, and I'm avoiding smoke like the plague because I seem to be much more sensitive to it…….I'm glad I gave those up years ago! As Pat O'Brien put it – "Its time to start livin right". But, aside from the inputs – I don't have control. Really, its in God's hands. There are people who can do everyting to the textbook – and still have complications or miscarriages, there are people who do everything wrong, or who don't change anything and have healthy babies.

I realize its all about improving your chances, and I know I'll do everything I can possibly do to achieve those better odds – but I don't want to become neurotic about stuff – because really, for every expert that says something is bad for you there is another expert somewhere else saying that it can be good. There is soooooo much stinkin information out there – and there are people who are worried about every little movement or pain or change in their bodies – and I don't want to be those people. I don't want to worry.


So I'm just going to try to live healthy and happy, and hope my baby, our baby follows suit.

I did purchase a couple of books – "What to expect when you're expecting" and "The Girlfriend's guide to Pregnancy" – both recommended by people on my scrapbook board. I wasn't planning on buying any books, because there is just so much info online that I figured I wouldn't need it. But, I'm sure it will be nice to read through an article or chapter without seeing "CLICK HERE to preserve your baby's cord cells" blinking at me every two seconds. I also got Pat O'Brien a book too – it's called "My Boys Can Swim!!!" Amazon recommended that after I was looking at the other books. It has an adorable name, and it had a lot of positive reviews, so I figured what the heck. If he reads it, great, if not, not a big deal. I'm sure I'll be sharing all sorts of things with him as time moves along, anyway, so he will be informed one way or another.


I'm not sure how into this whole thing he is. He tells me not to read into anything, but of course, I can't help it. I want him to be excited – I guess he's not the overly expressive type, so its hard to judge though, you know? He felt the same way when I told him (via a little scrapbook page) – excited, but guarded, and kind of scared – and he said he's moved to the Excited area, but I'm still not sure. I feel like he's holding back something, and I'm not sure what. I'm hoping whatever it is, we can dish it out over the next couple weeks, or figure it out when I get there in February.


Speaking of February, I scheduled my first prenatal appointment with my OB/GYN that I met last July. He was very cool and really nice. Seemed open to work with whatever I wanted, as far as birthing options go. It will be February 15……8 weeks pregnant. I'm really happy we decided to do the pre-pregnancy check up, so this won't be the first time I meet him. His name is Dr. Kelsey….funny, eh? The hospital we'll be going to is actually constructing an entire new women's center with all sorts of state of the art stuff, but I don't think we'll be late enough. It's supposed to open Fall of 2007 – and my approximate due date (based on all the online calendar calculators) is about September 26, 2007.


Speaking of birthing options – no way I'm doing all natural – no way no how. Give me drugs – give me an epidural – make it as easy and quick as possible. I figure, we have all this great technology and everything, why not use it!? I realize every woman has an opinion on to what is best for them – but people, keep it to yourself! Just because you think a water birth will be perfect to you, doesn't mean it's the only way to do it!!!


OK, one more thing, and I guess I've written enough for today. One thing Pat and I have decided is

that we don't want to know the sex of the baby until the day its popped out. Really, I had no preference either way – it would be cool to know, but it would be cool to be a surprise too. So, since Pat wanted to wait, it was very easy for me to concede to that. Its all about compromise, right?


List of Medications I've been taking

MMR Booster Shot – 0.5 ml 12-22-06

Hepatitis B #3 –1.0 ml 12-22-06

Sinus Infection/allergies

Antibiotic (Cephlaspore) Xannit? 500 mg 2x per day 1-5-07 – 1-19-07

Claritin – 10 mg 1x per day 1-5-07 – 1-12-2007

Nose spray – 2 sprays once a day – 1-5-07 – 2-5-07

Woman's One A Day Vitamin - daily

No comments: