Monday, June 18, 2007

EEK! Doom and gloom!

I'll be heading into my 3rd trimester this week......yay! So exciting! It seems unreal that its been that long, you know? Tomorrow, I will have less than 100 days left until baby O'Brien arrives...

I'm nervous, but lately its been more in a good way - I guess more anxious, instead of just being scared...that is definitely a good thing! It probably is because I've been feeling the baby a movin' and a shakin' inside my belly. It just makes it so real! I mean, there is actually a HUMAN inside there making all that movement! It still feels a bit alien, but kinda cool just the same. This weekend, we went camping, and it rained for a wee bit on Saturday afternoon. So we were just hangin' out in the tent playing cards, and baby was being particularly active......so I told Pat it was time to give my belly some attention. To which he took as meaning "I'll just plop my head on her belly and lay here for a while"......silly boy! Anyway - the baby totally knocked him upside his head kung fu style :) It was pretty hilarious because it was the first time Pat really felt the frequency of the baby's kicking/punching. He said "Whoa, that's wierd" or something to that effect......Then I told him the secret I've been hiding all along - that the baby isn't his - its actually Chuck Norris's - that's where the baby gets his mad kung fu skilz that beat me up from the inside on a regular basis :)

OK, back to my title - Gloom and Doom. So I've been feeling really good and secure about the pregnancy.....but it seems as if lately I've been reading tons of really sad, tragic stories from various people about babies and pregnancy. Not really on purpose, mind you - I mean, one person from the message board I visit at Pregnancy.org just recently delivered at around 28 weeks...but the baby is still fighting the good fight right now. But in random places, like at scrapbooking message boards, I've been hearing all this horrible news! Like the woman who's friend just died in childbirth (yes, it was in a hospital and no, it wasn't in the boone docks) leaving her husband with a 2 year old and a healthy newborn boy. And another story I just read today about a woman who's sister in law just had her Baby Shower on Saturday, (she was due in one month) and learned on Sunday (Father's Day) that the baby was dead, in her womb, and she'd still have to deliver the baby as normal this week.

Now, sometimes, I am an optimist - I choose to not see some of the bad that is going on in the world......but at times I'm would consider myself a realist as well. I know that these things happen, that life isn't always hunky dory and yes, horrible things do happen to good people. But it still breaks my heart. And while its not sending me into a tailspin frenzy that something horrible is going to happen to me - it definitely brings you down a bit, you know? Anyway, trying not to focus on all that bad stuff, but its hard when its all up in your face......

OK - subject change - I still don't have the results of my gestational diabetes screen.....but I'll be calling again today. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: