Wednesday, June 13, 2007

OK, so a word about this week

This past week has been pretty tough for me emotionally. I mean, I've just been tired, mean, irritable, and in general not a happy preggo pants. I guess if I had to pin point a culprit, I would say weight is weighing me down.

This weekend - we went to Michigan and I had a fantastic time...but it was the first time a lot of my family has seen me pregnant. And everyone I saw, the first thing out of their mouth was "awww....there's my chubby girl" or something to that equivalent. I know it was meant to be endearing, but to hear it over and over and over again, got to be kind of tough. I don't think I know of anyone, including the most secure person in the world, that could hear that phrase that many times, and still feel good about themselves, know what I mean? Oh, did I mention I was in a bathing suite most of the day on Saturday? yeah, catching a glimpse in the mirror of that was a bit traumatic. Lets just say the body can change a lot in a month! In addition to my already fragile self image, I had to toil with that fresh in my mind most of the drive home.

Then, in talking with my doctor on Monday, we discussed my weight...and although he wasn't that concerned (I've gained about 15-20 pounds so far), when I asked about it he said he would be wouldn't mind if I didn't gain much between now and my next appointment. Yup - that would mean I'm chubby. I know I've been eating way too much crap and all, I guess I just needed to hear the doc say it so I could get back on track. So, I've banned Starbucks and Culvers & peanut butter twix from my diet for at least the next two weeks (a big feat - considering I was indulging daily) and just in general try to improve my nutrition. I was really doing well in the beginning of my pregnancy, and somehow just lost track of it all.

I know that people say now isn't the time to diet, and I'm not going to be restricting my caloric intake......but I should be putting more of an emphasis on my nutrition and health - and not eating crap. And I don't know a single pregnant woman who really has said "I'm not going to pay attention to my weight" - its always an issue. And the more closely I take care of the issue now, the less I'll have to deal with it after baby is born.

The other issue I had to deal with was Sunday evening's meltdown.....a direct result of visiting my friends and family. It was the same issue as before - me lamenting the fact that I am far removed from my support system, and how on earth are we going to raise a baby without that system close by. I cried for a bit, but felt better later in the evening after realizing that I indeed, will do a good job, with or without my family and friends right next door.

::::::::: MORE OB NEWS :::::::::
So back to my OB appointment - I also got to take my glucose test. It wasn't as bad drinking that orange goo as everyone made it out to be, but I felt really weird for the rest of the day. Like I was high, then crashing from sugar. Very strange. I don't know the results of the test yet - but in my eyes no news is good news.

I also got some blood pressure checked (118/75 - kind of high for me, but I had just chugged the sugary goodness and was doing my darndest to not chuck it back up - normally I'm somehwere below 110/70), got my cervix checked out (everything is A-OK), and uterus measured (super normal there too). So far, everything is really looking good! And now I know my blood type is B+ (Pat's A+) - so there is officially no Rh negative risk (although if there was, they totally would have told me by now!).

The other big thing that we discussed was that the rest of my visits will be alternated between Dr. Kelsey and the other group OB's, just so I can meet them all once. Cuz who knows if Dr. Kelsey will officially be available when Baby O'Brien makes his/her grand entrance. I also got to finally change my name to O'Brien...it took a while for work and insurance to make the changes :)

No comments: