Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Loving Pregnancy?

Pat asked me last night if I was enjoying my pregnancy.

It was a good and fair question - but it took me a while to answer, because I wasn't exactly sure of how I felt.

I'm appreciative that the pregnancy has gone as well as it has - and I think I've been rather fortunate that it hasn't interfered too much with my daily life, and hasn't kept me from doing things I would normally do. I am appreciative and have a good attitude toward my changing body...mostly because giant boobs are cool, and my belly is getting rather cute and round.

I guess I thought I'd feel differently. That I'd LOOVE it. I've always thought that pregnancy is exactly what my body was made for - my wide hips, strong legs, and ample breasts....and I'm sure it is - but I had visions in my head. I couldn't WAIT to get maternity clothes because I just *knew* how adorable I'd be......

But am I loving it? Ummm......I'm not sure. I don't think I would say I'm loving it. Loving is a strong statment. Mostly because its pretty uncomfortable at times. I mean, a person is growing inside you for Pete's Sake - its taking up space and moving things around and squirming and squishing and making your body all strange and weird. Not just the weight gain thing, although it is a major drawback - I'm taking more about how your hips widen and your back is all out of wack and when you wake up or try to move around its rather difficult. Its very strange.

Some women (I'm sure they are all liars now) really loved being pregnant. Maybe those are the people with 12 kids - where pregnancy is their preferred stage of existence. Those people are misleading - they're the ones who don't tell you about the constipation, hemorrhoids, constant farting and burping, joint pain, nerve pain, not being able to tie your own shoes pain......

I'm just hoping its not all a scam. You know, like a scam to keep the human race alive. Everyone says how amazing it is to be a parent, how its the most incredible (ok - some honest ones include most difficult as well) thing they have ever done.....but what if they are scammers just like those perfectly happy glowing "loving pregnancy" women are? I suppose its a bit too late to be thinking of that now - but the thought did just pop up in my head.....

Maybe holding that little baby outside your body for the first time makes the memory of the labor and previous 40 weeks melt away......because if not - than I'm going to spread the word of truth, and human kind will be doomed :)

No comments: