Friday, July 6, 2007

Random Updates

Wow. I am at 28 weeks - only 12 left to go! Lots of exciting baby news going on - two of Pat's friends from college & high school both were made proud papa's this week. Both by C-section! All the moms & babies are doing well.

I don't think I ever posted this, but I did get the results of the gestational diabetes test, and it proved to be all good! So there was no need to go back for the gross 3 hour test. I still have been trying to consume more good foods than bad foods, which is often a chore when on the road for over 6 hours in a day. Its just hard for me to snack on water and veggies while driving, you know? Especially when I'm tired and all I want is Coke and fritos. So, on the days where I'm travelling I have made poorer choices than when I'm in the office. I try to make up for it by keeping my water consumption high, and focusing on getting around 30 minutes of exercise 5-6 days of the week, which Pat has been great at supporting. So far, the net effect has been zero-little gain since my last appointment. I was supposed to have another appointment on Monday, but I'll be in Iowa, so its rescheduled for Friday. We'll see what the official numbers show on the scale at the doctor's office.

A few weeks ago, Pat and I went on a maternity ward visit at our hospital. I don't think I wrote about that (although I frequently meant to....its just my preggo brain makes me more scattered than normal - if you can believe it). It was rather funny to be part of a tour group that was 1/3 male, 1/3 female, and 1/3 preggo bellies from the female contingent. I'm not sure why I was so amused, I just was. I guess I had never been a part of a group comprised of that demographic before.

The tour was great (which reminds me - I should pre-register online before I forget) and I didn't really get all freaked out or nervous or anything like I thought I would. The facilities are nice, albiet not quite brand new and fancy shmancy. The brand new women's hospital opens in mid-October, so I'll be one of the last babies born in the old one. The decor is a little dated, but all of thier equipment and philosophies are the latest and greatest, and that's whats important to me. They have been consistantly rated as one of the top 10 women's hospitals in the US, and I've been pleased with their care of me and baby O'Brien so far.

So - highlights. The baby is kept with mama at all times, unless the mother requests the baby be taken to the nursery so she can get some rest. The nurseries are small - one small nursery for each four rooms (they call each four room group a "pod") so even if you decide to put the baby in the nursery, its never far away :) The patient to nurse ratio is 1 to 1 in labor & delivery, 2 to 1 in recovery...so its always like you have a "personal" nurse! The whole place had a very calm atmosphere about it, which I found to be very cool :)

There's much more to it all than that, but that's all I feel like writing about now.....the next steps will be taking our Preparing for Childbirth classes, which will be sometime next month.

No comments: