Monday, March 19, 2007

And LAME-O was his NAME-O

Wow man, I didn't think St. Patrick's Day would bother me so much. I feel kind of left out now that I am not drinking at all. Now, don't get me wrong people, I'm not a drunk, but I like a beer as much as the next girl....and I guess since I "can't" have one - the more I want one, you know?

It hasn't been a big deal. Pat and I have been out plenty of times and I've stuck to water, or cranberry and soda with a lime twist. Now and again I'll even partake in an O'Douls or other such non-alcoholic beer. But, sometimes, you just want the real thing, you know? At least I finally found a reason for non-alcoholic beer. I always thought "What's The Point?!". There are some pretty tasty choices out there, too! In one motherhood magazine that I picked up, there was actually a summary of taste testing various brands of feaux beer - now THAT's the kind of pregnant stuff I LOVE to see in a magazine - something that is really pertanent to me and my life, and not something about how anything non-organic is going to make your child grow a third eye en utero.

But this weekend, there was a lot of drinking and carrying on, and there I was, with my green O'Douls or water or whatever, trying so hard to have fun, but not really being into it all. I even had to take a couple naps. I just felt, overall, LAME-O. In fact, I was singing Carli Simon's "You're So Vain" but substituting Lame for Vain at one point on Sunday morning. I'm not sure why....I've gone through periods in my life before where I haven't drank, but maybe because its tied so much into the O'Brien family culture it keeps me feeling left out. Its totally self implemented - no one at any point in the weekend made me feel bad about it (I mean, they all KNOW I'm pregant for pete's sake!). My almost sister in law Kristen and I talked about how she felt the same way when she was carrying each of her three kids. I guess it just comes with the territory.

Funny thing - we were at a party Friday night, and our friend's dad is a retired OB/GYN (you know, the kind of town doctor where people introduce themselves and say "Dr. Gallagher! You delivered me and my 7 brothers!"). Anyway, he said "aw honey - that's all blarney. My wife drank a Manhattan three times a week when she was pregnant with all 8 of our kids. Have a real beer if you'd like." Ok, so maybe I was exaggerating with the blarney part (although it was St. Patrick's Day weekend) - but he did say that! Ah - I love old people. They are so cute!

No comments: