Monday, March 12, 2007

Swelling stinks and other musings

:::::::::::::::::: WEIGHT ::::::::::::::::::
Up til now I haven't really gained much of any weight at all, which is really really good I think. But about this time, around 12 weeks or so, most of the experts say that you should be starting to gain about a pound a week. I didn't think this would be a big deal, but I'm up a pound this morning and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Good for baby, I suppose, but bad for me. My goal, overall, is not to gain more than 20 pounds or so. Doc agreed that was probably a good number. General guideline for a single baby pregnancy is 25 - 35 pounds, but since there is a little more of me to love to start out with, being on the low end of that number is a good thing. Besides, if I only gain 20 pounds, that keeps me below 200 pounds. I think if I ever went above that number I might flip out - it would be very bad emotionally (not to mention physically) for me.

:::::::::::::::::: SWELLING ::::::::::::::::::
Aside from the weight gain, the past couple of days I have begun to swell. Icky. That isn't fun at all. My fingers and toes are beginning to look like sausages. I'm not sure why that is - I guess it would be because I have been a water slacker as of late. So, I'm going to concentrate on hitting that 64 oz mark each day. Hopefully that will help.

:::::::::::::::::: ATTIRE ::::::::::::::::::
I purchased a Bella Band last week, and it arrived Friday. Its a tube-top looking thing that you put over your belly and the top of your pants to hold them up - so I can still wear my regular jeans and pants with the top button unbuttoned, and also wear my maternity stuff that is still a bit too big. Great invention - for sure! Like I said, I haven't gained much weight, but the bloat factor and body changing is definitely making my pants not fit quite right. This thing is fabulous!



I also ordered a bathing suit and some preggo shorts - I'll definitely be needing those when we go to Tucson in May for Pat's mother's College Graduation. I hope it fits well! I'll find out this week when it gets here!

:::::::::::::::::: HEADACHES ::::::::::::::::::
I've always been a sufferer of migranes, and for the most part, since the inception of this pregnancy, they have occured less frequently than normal. I would get them before at least 3 days a month, and these past three months I think I've had less than 3 total. That is, until Friday. It started as a dull roar, then got so bad that I finally had to resort to taking tylenol. Which normally doesn't help at all. I've always taken Excederine for my headaches, its the only thing that really packs a punch and takes them away. Anyway, Asprin for preggos is a big no no, so I stuck with the lightweight stuff.

Well, it stayed with me for three (count em - 3) days. Not full migrane strength the entire time - but Friday night and Saturday afternoon were horrible. It finally went away Sunday morning after I went for a run. So maybe its just my body telling me that I need to get out and move my butt more.

No comments: